If you are studying at the University of Kiel and the Institute of Geosciences according to regulations of your original study program or the international exchange program, the following information might be of interest to you.
The UnivIS-System (http://univis.uni-kiel.de) provides information on the individual lectures as well as when and where they take place. There is an option to search for lectures in the current or previous term (Dropdown-menu in the upper right corner). The main menus are also available in English.
To register for and check out the results of exams, please use the Student-Online-Function (https://qis.zentr-verw.uni-kiel.de/uki/rds?state=user&type=0). To login, use your stu-Number and password.
Important/relevant information regarding change of study location, exams and forms can be found on the webpage of the Mathematics & Natural Sciences Faculty: Exams www.mnf.uni-kiel.de/de/studium/pruef/examination, on the webpage of the Geography & Geosciences Examination office (German only, see bottom of page for contact info), on the webpage of the Student Service (German only) as well as here www.international.uni-kiel.de/en/international-students-application-admission-1/123c.
For the detailed curriculum of individual programs, please see the respective links:
In general, there is a possibility for courses from the German-taught geoscience degree programs to be conducted in English language. Please contact the individual lecturer to inquire whether the lecture could be conducted in English.
Please consider the following when choosing you lectures!
Most of the lectures are part of modules that need to be finished as a whole before ECTS-points can be counted. Unfinished modules will not appear in your transcript of records. Some of the modules will last over two semesters, e.g. lectures start in the winter term and are continued in the following summer term.
There are also plenty of other courses taught in English at the university which can be attended as free-choice courses. The following list might help you in search for external lectures which you can attend for credit points.
- Any modules from the curriculum of the B.Sc. and M.Sc. Programs listed above
- New: "Humans and the Ocean" from the Kiel School of Sustainability (WS 2014/15, 6 ECTS)
- MNF-bioc-101 Introduction to Biological Oceanography (WS, 6 ECTS)
- MNF-bioc-103 Introduction to Chemical Oceanography (WS, 5 ECTS)
- MNF-ozgr-151 Introduction to Physical Oceanography (WS, 5 ECTS)
- MNF-bioc-266 Advanced Course in Polar Ecology (SS, 4 ECTS)
- MNF-bioc-253 How to Write and Publish a Scientific Paper (SS, 2 ECTS)
- MNF-bioc-268 Identification and taxonomy of marine invertebrates (SS, 5 ECTS)
- MNF-bioc-357 Early Earth Life, Extreme Environments and Astrobiology (SS, 5 ECTS)
- etit-609 Renewable Energy Systems (SS, 4 ECTS)
- International Law of the Sea (SS, 4 ECTS)
- MNF-eco-107 Terrestrial Ecozones and Ecosystems (WS+SS, 6 ECTS)
- MNF-ftz-geo-S126 Coastal Evolution and Protection (SS, 6 ECTS)
- Sustainability Economics (WS, 6 ECTS)
- Environmental Economics+Exercise (WS, 5 ECTS)
- Atmospheric Chemistry (WS, 3 ECTS)
- English for Natural Sciences (SS)
- Business English (WS)
For detailed information on these and other courses please see the UnivIS website. To see all the university lectures conducted in English language, click on "Englischsprachige Veranstaltungen" in the lecture directory. To register for an exam on a module outside your curriculum, please consult the examination office of the study program to which the module officially belongs.
It is highly recommendable to follow announcements on the bulletin board at the entrance and in the hallways of the Institute to find out about potential courses, deadlines, changes and curriculum etc.!
Other potentially relevant courses (no ECTS):
- ISOS courses (e.g. MATLAB Intro, Job Application, Writing a Proposal, etc.)
- Scientific diving (in German, contact Prof. Dr. Kerstin Schrottke)
- German as a Foreign Language
Flyer for the German Language Course 2015
Contact Study Coordination Office:
If you have any questions regarding the programs or your study plan, please contact the study coordinator:
Dr. Miriam Tanhua
Institut für Geowissenschaften
Ludewig-Meyn-Str. 10, Raum 116
Important dates - http://www.pamt.uni-kiel.de/pas/vzp/Terminplanordner/aktuelleterminplaene (click on the correspoding semester)
Contact the student associations:
Geosciences student association: Email, Website
Physics of the Earth System student association: Email, Website
Geophysics student association: Email
M.Sc. Marine Geosciences FB group